Total Pageviews

Monday, August 15, 2016

Mature Fashion: Building the right wardrobe

In the blog "" , I posted the presentation of oneself throughout any given day could be likened to performing various "roles"  in a stage production called "my lifestyle", or to be more dramatic, "All The World's A Stage", and we, the single actor. parts.

Of course, to be a "costume designer " (stylist), a woman has to identify the different roles, then select the appropriate wardrobe suitable to those roles within the budget allocated by the producer (you).  We also need to quantify how long each role will be on stage, the form and function of the garments required for the role. Because we all perform in a different play; the number and nature of the roles will be somewhat different for each of us.  Defining the roles and the amount of time spent in each is the first step in planning the appropriate wardrobe.

In my personal play, I am now fully retired from work (no need for a "career" wardrobe) and the styling needs for my "costumes"  require approximately 90% of my wardrobe to be somewhat "casual Friday".  The remaining 10% of the wardrobe can cover the occasional formal or business attire, if, and when, the need arises. (I will blend a few skirt and sweater/blazer ensembles to cover the rare occurrences where a business suit would be most appropriate).

Although I live in Northern California, and approximately 70% of my clothing needs to be suitable for a warm weather environment.  I live in a marine climate with sometimes chilly mornings and evenings during the hot summer months.   I do need some clothing for cold and rainy weather during all seasons, especially, early spring.  Consequently, my spring/summer wardrobe must be much larger than my fall/winter seasonal wardrobe. 

I have found this division of "role" appropriate garments and variable seasonal garments to be the most challenging facet of having a manageable, effective, and efficient wardrobe.  

One of my personal styling gains from writing this blog, is the realization that I have too many cold weather winter garments in the rich fall/winter colors that I love and too few of them in colors more suitable for spring.  Consequently, I am slowly eliminating some wool blazers, pants, and skirts in deep browns, charcoal gray, etc., and replacing them with quality materials in cotton, linen, etc., that are more comfortable is the very warm weather of autumn and the chilly evenings of summer.  I am adding some of the heavier materials in wool, leather, etc. in my favored pearl grey and lighter colors of spring to accommodate some really cold temperatures of  February, March, and sometimes, even early April.