Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Mature Fashion: The Style Book

 If you do not have a strong fashion point of view,
or are unsure of yourself in identifying your personal look, you can get a sense of your type  by clipping photos of fashions on models from magazines or take snapshots of models in the fashion sections of department stores. You will quickly be able to identify what fashion style type(s)  you most prefer.  It then becomes a matter of choosing the garments within that type that have the design elements that flatter your own body type!  Voila!!  ..Do not worry if you like more than one; this is one of the ways you will be able to identify the "authentic YOU.  " For example, in home decor, I am a "modern baroque"..defined by me.  In fashion, I call myself a Whimsical Artistic Practical Classic. (A lot of words, but I know what I mean, and it suits my definition).

In addition to the four magazines on your left, I also subscribe to Vogue, Bazaar, and InStyle. I view the pictures in these publications to add to the looks I have already styled for the current fashion season. Many times I do not like the entire outfit, but I like a certain garment, or the way it is worn, and I file it in my stylebook to remind me to give it a try.

I also view on Vogue.com fashion runway shows for the future fashion season and print photos of ideas that inspire me. The picture at the left is one such photo that I have printed.  It is Look #9 from the New York Vanessa Seward collection and viewed on Vogue.com . (Thank You, Vogue!), a practice that I advise for every aspiring stylinista.  I printed this picture because I have a similar denim pair of pants and jacket.  The position of the rolling of the cuffs, the boot style, and way the scarf is tied is what inspired me for a fresh look of wearing garments I already have.  I also have pages that show a new look for the styling of basic accessories that I may need to style my wardrobe.  

I also highly recommend the fashion blogs.  There are several that I visit once a week (I follow them because (1) I want to hear what they have to say, (2) I may find a particular styling that I admire as a work of art.  The StyleCrone (Judith Boyd) always has imaginative ensembles that I would usually not wear because of my lifestyle and the roles I play (3) some of the blogs (NoFearOfFashion) have several examples of garments I might wear as inspiration using my own wardrobe.  The same principle apply as above; if the print option is available, copy it to your style book or Pinterest if you have a style board and can capture the picture. Some of the others occasionally have a styling that I know will work with both my look and my existing garments.

These photo reminders also make it possible for  me to look for bargain prices on garments or accessories before I need to wear the inspired outfit. (you can view looks for F/W 2016 on RockMyRunway.blogspot.com for accessories I have already chosen to wear  F/W 2016.) (not all of them are posted yet)   Knowing ahead of time what I will be wearing also prevents me from eliminating a garment from my closet that I may want to wear for another season. It is very practical for me, and allows me to make the most use of my closet space and wardrobe investment buys.

It is extremely important to remember that the pictures are for INSPIRATION, not duplication.  The model wearing the above outfit in my stylebook is about six feet tall, and probably weighs no more than 100 pounds. I am 5'3" (on a good day, and at 7:00 a.m.!) ..and weigh 131!!...and am 73, not the < 25 age of the model!.  Needless to say, even if my clothing pieces were exact duplicates, I would not look the same as the picture even if I wanted to!  I will drop the roll of the cuff a bit, add a hairstyle that adds the appearance of greater height, etc.  and wear touches that make it my own.  The picture is to aid in remembering looks I want for myself.  Most of the time it only takes re-thinking of the use of pieces already in my closet and/or the inspiration to choose a simple, inexpensive, but trendy final touch or two. 

One of the most important elements in keeping the closet "fresh" is choosing the appropriate accessories to complete a new "look".  Often the accessories are the "look". This is when and where a basic neutral classic ensemble can be quickly elevated from a boring, tired, dated look to a smashing fashion success within your lifestyle roles. (one such example is Look #3 on RockMyRunwaay.blogspot.com where I will use only the color spotted fur clutch to represent the entire "look".  I will wear a solid white top and bottom (uniform) as the background for the colorful and trendy purse; a very simple ensemble, quick, inexpensive, and  a very fresh look for garments I have had for a long time in my wardrobe.  

I find inspiration everywhere; in fact, too much.  My niece introduced me to Pinterest, a social media venue on the Internet.  I also automatically receive wonderful fashion inspiration daily from other bloggers, etc; more than I can ever use.  As I mentioned above, I also receive a weekly feed from the StyleCrone.com (Judith Boyd is one of the most imaginative and talented stylists I have seen.)  I can't wear most of the garments she models in her blog because the roles in my life do not support that type of garment very often; (if I did, she would be one of my models!  She demonstrates how wonderfully one can play with a fashion trend, and adapt it to her garments. She frequently wears the same basic garments but always has such a delightful twist and original accessories. 

Fashion icons are another marvelous way to refine and identify personal style.  Helen Mirren is mine; I have an entire board on her at Pinterest because our ages are about the same. Her styling reflects my taste, age, and over-all fashion "attitude."  She expresses my spirit. Who is your fashion icon?

No comments:

Post a Comment