Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Mature Fashion: NoFearOfFashion

I am making a new cyber friend on-line with our discussion of fashion and exchanges of styling information.  I have just published a post to  "RockMyAges.blogspot.com" regarding "NoFearOfFashion.com".  That site is owned and published by Greetje Kamminga, a fashion conscious Dutch lady who I believe also rocks her age. I am adding a post to this blogsite because I am dealing with the styling principles involved.

The comments she has made on my blogs already let me know she understands the principles of design fully and the know how to best apply them; As you may know, I use this blog as a reference manual and general styling guide; in other words, a "how to" publication.  I will demonstrate how she has applied that advice in both the use of those principles on her own body type and mine.  Her own sense of style and generosity  have led her to share welcome suggestions that  have contributed to my own personal styling improvement.

case in point:

In my post "the Stylish You"  published July 9th on this blog, I showed the outfit to the left and the raspberry Kors handbag I chose for the day. Although Greetje was very complimentary to my choice of monochromatic dressing, etc and exhibited her styling knowledge (see comments on that post), she kindly suggested that the use of either the yellow or the green might have been a better choice.  When I viewed the photos (remember, pictures are worth a thousand words!) I instantly noted that she was perfectly correct. Either handbag would have provided better balance and proportion to the ensemble.  (I will be wearing this outfit again in the spring, and fully intend to accessorize with the Brighton mustard handbag. )

Needless to say, I am delighted that I have found an accomplished stylist who was willing to share her knowledge and know-how to my personal styling.  This sharing of knowledge is also the main reason I began this blog and to share my knowledge of styling with persons who want to learn how to make the most of their own closets, body types, and love of fashion.

Another case in point is several pictures I pinned to my board NoFearFashion that demonstrates her sophisticated use of color and line to create enormously flattering and fashionable ensembles; a talent that I believe to be a really strong point with her. It is obvious that she really loves color and knows how to use it effectively.

On my board I recommend your viewing of Red Velvet Jacket, Vintage Leather Shorts, Multi-Color Ralph Lauren Shirt, Red Leather Jacket Scarf and Jeans, the Diane Von Furstenberg Wrap Dress, and Golden Boots for superb examples of these design and styling techniques.  I am sure she has more pictures to offer, but those are ones I chose for my own personal inspiration.

I believe that Greetje is several inches taller than I am and has longer legs although I believe she and I share some similarities in body type (It is hard to tell, because her styling techniques are used to present her body in the best possible way..as is our goal)  Anyway, her height allows her to use large areas of color (color blocking) in ways that would overwhelm my smaller frame.  I posted the above references to my Pinterest board as inspiration for some of my own uses of color in the more subtle ways that would flatter my own body type.  I also have to pay more attention than she does to leg length.  (Once again, this is just a supposition). 

I love monochromatic dressing which overall is one of my most flattering looks. because of my lack of height, leg length, and larger middle.  However, too much of one color, like classic lines, if not used wisely are simply boring, even though it may make a woman look taller, thinner, etc.  I have noted that many of my "uniform" pictures when worn just around the house (the look I all too frequently photograph) is sometimes just too much.  Greetje's influence on me has already begun to take effect. I am trying to break up the monotony without losing the line of color; something she does very well.

I heartily recommend NoFearOfFashion.com to all my readers, but especially those who are somewhat tall, somewhat rectangular or inverted triangles; an excellent source for inspiration. 



3 comments:

  1. I feel this is too much credit as I stumble in the dark many times. You had this outfit exactly right. Just the colour of the handbag was a little detail which could be improved, so applause to yourself. Knowing what is the right trouser length that works for you is very important. And yes, the more vertically challenged women (I love that expression) are wise to use the same colour shoes and trousers to create one long leg. But by no means is this always necessary. Which makes styling not as easy as just having three suggestions to work with.
    You chose the Vintage Leather Shorts as one example on your Pinterest board. That, to me, ws a fun exersize but it isn't me really. So I gave the shorts to another blogger.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way: I am 62 and still working full time as an advertising manager.

      Delete
    2. Extra kudos to you for trying something a bit out of your comfort zone! Actually, I try to do this ever so often just to keep from becoming stagnant in my fashion sense; Although the shorts may not have been your favorite expression of you, you surely exhibited great use of line and color when coordinating the ensemble.

      Delete