Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Mature Fashion: Body Shape, Oval

We are going to spend a little more time and space on this body shape than on the others because there are more things to consider and greater styling challenges to face for this body type..


A woman with an oval shaped body is more likely to be body conscious than any other type and is more likely to not like her body very much. By definition, an oval body type has her largest vertical width right where she does not want it; at the mid-section.  The general guideline for this body type is to avoid belts or anything else that focuses on that area and to choose tops that are large enough to skim over the midriff and narrow at the hipline.  I point out this guideline  because it is a perfect example of adapting the guidelines to suit your personal body.  I have learned to wear belts very successfully, providing (1) the material is thick enough to drape attractively over the belt,(2) is thin enough to not add bulk to the waist (3) the belt is the proper width to match the styling lines of the garment.  I can almost always also wear a belt providing I have layered the ensemble  with a top that is open in the front and gives the illusion of a narrow midriff.


 Clothing details that draw the eye to your upper body and face or on your lower body below the hips is usually your most effective strategy. Within the oval body type who usually has somewhat heavy arms can be a buried "barrel" , shape.  If the arms are large but well tone, the oval shaped woman can bare her arms very successfully, offering a few more more styling possibilities.  The more common example, however, is the mature "apple" who has heavy and rather flabby arms. (I relate to this example very well-I am between a an inverted triangle who is almost a rectangle or an oval at the waist -depending upon my weight-or as I call myself, a "fat carrot".) 


Finding flattering clothing can be very challenging. Finding tops that fit my shoulders are all too often too tight around the midsection or upper arms.  Tops that fit the midsection are too large at the shoulder and can make  me look frumpy, especially because I have a short neck and short arms!. Fussy details around the neck can make me look too much like a clown, clingy or bulky materials of any sort emphasize the midsection. Unless we are able to find a suitable shift (no seams or darts in the front) one piece garments are very hard to find  because the waist will be too tight. Even if we do, the dress is likely to be sleeveless. In addition, unless we have long legs,(I don't) tunic designs make us look top heavy, and an empire waist designs too often make us look pregnant! ......As I said, "  challenging."........but we can do it!!

Drawing attention to the lower body or upper chest is often effective as I have demonstrated  A perfect fit in the shoulders and arms is a must, and frankly, you must kiss a lot of toads before you find the prince; been there, done that!!

Skirts that drape smoothly over the hips usually work well, but rarely a zip front.  Flat front pants are usually the most flattering, especially ones with a smooth, wide ELASTIC waist. Avoid zippers except side zippers, often the hardest to find.  Choose tops that come just to the area where the belly bulge appears and no longer.  Remember, every woman's body is a bit different; you need to identify the "sweet spot" for blouse length.  Hem the bottoms if necessary.  (after writing this, I find I have some altering to do, myself-I know a few of my tops should be shortened.)

If you are a mature woman who also sews, designing and altering your own garments is a blessing.!! For you, it is simply a matter of mastering the design elements and adapting the clothing to get your perfect fit.  If you can do this, you are one lucky woman!!  I have attempted sewing in the past to create my ideal garments and am in fact, sewing a skirt as we speak. (I created this blog in part to keep me on track with my own personal styling, and it is working!.... I found I had become much too complaisant about my own wardrobe.)


I have the shoulders and upper arms of an apple, the waistline, shoulders, and hip line of a rectangle, and the small legs of an inverted triangle; as I said before, a "fat carrot", and I dress accordingly. (one of the greatest advantages to me in writing these blogs is the ability to refine my own styling by viewing the many pictures I have produced.  I have viewed myself in the mirror over the years, but I find I can use the pictures to greater advantage for improvement and analysis-I have become more knowledgeable about my own styling techniques and the realization of what I have been doing-and can improve upon)

I love the fact that my design lines, color, proportions, textures, patterns, and balance have been used to make the most of my physical assets. I also love the fact that I can see future improvements (for instance, what about a black and silvery "bug" or witty pin right where my shoulder and neckline meet?-or the new neck ornament I just made for this coming fall? (pix on rockmyrunwaay.blogspot.com ) ?...or maybe not...I'll have to try it to find out.

So far we have addressed issues that deal with fashion styling and design. One of the frustrations for the oval shape is the health considerations that must be dealt with; not just for wearing the latest fashions; people with our  figure types are at far greater risk of heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer.  Basically, both fashion wise and health wise, it is "wise" for us to keep that "oval" as close to a rectangle as possible.










No comments:

Post a Comment