Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Mature Fashion: Body Shape, Rectangle

The definition of the  "rectangle" body type is where the shoulders, hips, and waist are about the same. Although I am not technically a rectangle, the outfit I am wearing gives the illusion I might be. (the texture of the material of my pants and the busy pattern add bulk to my legs all the way to my ankles, and my waist is almost as thick as my hip width) so I have used it as an example) The picture below does show a truly rectangular figure.

If the dimensions are somewhat narrow, the only illusion you may wish to define is a more narrow waistline, giving the impression of an hour glass (the inverted triangle over a triangle, to speak in geometric terms).  It is, however, not necessary.  Unless you are very tall or very short, the straight up and down appearance gives the impression of a trim and balanced shape for a mature woman. Most sporty or "preppy" looks have a lot of rectangular silhouettes.  Unisex looks and boyfriend looks love this type of figure.  It is also marvelous for the more aged mature woman who often loses some of her youthful body mass.  The hour glass look is desired more by women who love the romantic and dramatic fashion styles. The rectangle almost always portrays a youthful vibe. 

Many dresses sold currently actually create an hour glass shape using color and lines to draw a curved shape narrowing the midriff and waist. The dress must leave enough room in that area so it skims the body. In the picture on your lower left (Thank you Butterick, I have taken the liberty to modify the sketch of pattern B5998 to show a model with a larger midriff and longer sleeves than in their original pattern sketch)

I am actively looking for a dress similar to the drawing for my own wear-(I may have to make it-hence the pattern) I would have to make it with longer sleeves because I wish to disguise my own upper arms as well as the midriff: Note: (that is why I have shown the sleeves longer; the shorter sleeves hem ends right at the point on my midriff where I am creating the curve.  I want the horizontal line to be drawn at the hip area, not the midriff.

Most rectangles look good in narrow pants and skinny jeans, depending upon the shape of ones legs.  Pockets on pants, especially ones that curve toward the waist give the illusion of a waistline; boxy pants usually give the illusion that one is hefty and should be avoided, unless one has very slim legs. Most rectangles want to avoid short tops whose hemline end right at the waist as it draws attention to a somewhat thick looking waist unless the woman is very thin.  As usually recommended, each woman needs to take stock of her assets and determine what body parts she wants to accentuate. 

A rectangle shape must avoid too much bulk unless you are very tall.  Generally, she also wants to avoid heavily textured or large patterns in her fabric choices.  The vision to keep in mind one wants is a trim "up and down" appearance; a longer rectangle, not that of a square.  A rectangle also needs to be wary of too much monochrome dressing or too many vertical stripes if she is very tall. She also does not want to look like a pencil. 






No comments:

Post a Comment