Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Mature Fashion:Body Shape, Inverted Triangle

These pictures demonstrate a figure that is a classic inverted triangle; a body shape where the shoulder width is wider than the width of the hips.  I have used these as demonstrations before on "rule breaking".  I know the pants do not flatter my lower body as much as pants that were not quite as form fitting, but for other reasons (household uniforms that offer comfort and a greater degree of safety in performing certain chores) I have chosen to do so. I also do not mind the shape or appearance of the narrow bottom and wider shoulders. You will see many pictures as demonstration because this is my body type.  I do not have women models who are willing to have their body types photographed.


In each of these pictures to the left I have demonstrated types of silhouettes and inside lines that balance this body shape.

A woman who has a larger shoulder width than the width of her hips is called an inverted triangle.  This person frequently wears a smaller size on a bottom garment than the size she will wear on the top.  It is considered by many stylists to be very desirable because it usually gives an appearance of power and strength.(if only I were TALLER!)  It also allows many design details to be attractively displayed on the lower half of the body.  This is the woman who can often wear bright colored pants with attention drawing buttons, zippers, pockets, etc.  She also usually looks great in wide legged pants if she has long enough legs.(I DO NOT) If she has short legs,(I DO), it is usually wise to use monochrome dressing in her footwear. (matching hem, hose, and shoes as much as possible).  Although I am technically an Inverted TriangIe, I call myself a "fat carrot" because I am thick around the waist; my waist is almost the same size as my hips and I frequently follow the guidelines of a rectangular figure. I am not alone in this figure difficulty because many women over 40 have a waist that has thickened significantly during our "golden years". Although the picture is not clear enough to display the belled hemline of narrow knife pleats.



I recently read a post by another blogger stylist who suggested balancing the width of the lower body to the shoulders by wearing either full or pleated skirts. I strongly disagree.  One would think that the goal to achieve ideal proportions, one would want to make hips look as wide as the shoulder area; this works only if one has a smaller and more defined waist.  If a woman has a thick rib cage and waist size that is nearly the same size as shoulders, the woman could succeed in looking wide all over; (I know, that is one of my figure challenges-The only reason balancing the hips with line works in this display is because of the wide stripes and where they fall on the garment on the left)  I would never wear a pleated skirt unless the pleats were sewn tightly to the hips, or as in the first picture with the black skirt, at the hemline.  I would rarely, if ever,  use a heavy texture or pattern at the waistline.

In general, note: I say in general, this body type would wish to minimize neckline, shoulder and upper body details and bring focus to the lower body or skip over the body top and focus on the face or hair. Usually, wearing narrow lapels on jackets, v shaped necklines are flattering because they draw the eye to the center of the body rather than the wide horizontal line of the shoulders. The same logic applies in reverse;  no puffed sleeves or details that broaden the shoulder.  Raglan sleeves usually flatter this body type as it gives the illusion of sloping shoulders if not too thick at the waistline.  Too much detail on top, especially if worn with high heels can make a woman look "top heavy", and give an illusion that she could "topple."

Remember, all of the above are guidelines only!!  You must look at your own unique body to see how the details all fit together and how they apply to YOU!!  There are dozens of differences within the body types that need to be considered before they can be applied to individuals bodies as concrete statements of fashion law.  Remember, that every body type has at least three variations in leg length alone (short legs, long legs, and average).  the guidelines for lengthening the body are the same as for all the body shapes.  At best, the above "rules" are generalities and must be measured against the realities of today and the freedom of individualized fashion choices. 

One example I can use on my own body (unfortunately, I no longer have the blazer, so I can't show it).  Usually, epaulets are never suggested for the wide shouldered gal. I have a wide shoulder AREA, the actual shoulder caps are unusually small (causing two rotator cuff surgeries!, thank you very much!).  This distortion makes my medium sized upper arm look larger than it should; I also have a rather thick short neck and a broad back.  When I extended my shoulder just a bit with the epaulettes,in the same color as the jacket, I had the illusion of the wider shoulder, but my upper arms, etc. looked much slimmer.  Of course, the correct shoulder pad works also.  Unfortunately, any blazer I purchase with shoulder pads must be altered because the pads are not positioned correctly for my shoulder caps.  My arm length is also an inch shorter than the median.  As I continuously state, every body is different and you must identify the "rules" that apply to you, and ignore those that do not.

Inverted triangles, especially tall ones, can really rock the fashion stage.  If you are this style shape, check to make sure you are taking advantage of your trendy fashion options! You can wear garments and usually look like a fashion model if you walk with tall and with authority!!

One other tip; quite often this woman may have "chicken legs".  She is the lucky woman who can wear a textured, patterned and/or white hosiery and not  look like she has heavy legs. (white, patterned tights on even well shaped legs all too often are not flattering to the wearer).  Once again, let your mirror be your guide.  I have posted a picture so you can see what I mean.(look at my legs in the neutral or plain dark hosiery above and then at the patterned hose at the left.)

No comments:

Post a Comment